Friday, September 14, 2007

Attack of the Motorbike



Ok, which is it, Ho Chi Minh or Saigon?

Ho Chi Minh...

Saigon...


Sorry Ho Chi, I'm sticking with Saigon. Just like it better.

Saigon was definitely thee most intense city that I have ever been in. And yes, Tokyo certainly is nuts, but there is some order to it. Hot, humid, loud, stinky, busy, and stinkybusy. Hey I just made up a new word.

I'll start right in with the traffic. Every single intersection of every single block of every single street were packed with motorbikes. Hundreds, thousands of them. Walking around this place was quite stressful. If you are lucky, there is a stoplight at the intersection you walk up to. If not, you can just wait there, all day, to cross the street, but you will never get the chance to.....unless you do this....

Just start crossing. GO. Walk normal. Don't look anywhere but straight ahead. The motorbikes will all swerve around you. Don't try to dodge them, don't even look at them, you will have heart failure.
It is the hardest thing to do, taking your children to cross the street while there are 74 motor vehicles coming right at you. It goes against all instincts and everything you ever drilled into their heads over and over about learning how to cross the street safely.

My Uncle Frank warned me of this before we left, but I thought ...a bit extreme. He was right.
After doing this a handful of times with the whole family and stroller, I am certain that I shaved off a couple years of my life. I know it. That night at our hotel, I laid down on the bed to rest, and everything went black. I was cemented into that mattress. I never got back up, not even to brush my teeth. And I never go to bed without brushing.

Here is a short traffic clip. Taken on the way to the airport.
And some shots of various, downtown Saigon. Click on the pics to enlarge...

I
It didn't help, crossing the street with these masked people. I think they just escaped with the loot, and surely wouldn't care if they bumped me off.
I saw a lot of dirty plates on the sidewalk. Just eat, wherever...someone will pick it up later on?
I think there was a motorbike under there somewhere


Hey are those kids buckled?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CLK Rotary Club said...

Trina,

Your dad sent me copies of the "Japan Post," Celia's tabloid newspaper. Wonderful! I will send Celia some comments if she has a "Letters to the Editor" feature.

Our season is almost over and we start looking toward the travel season for the next 6-7 months. Stay tuned.

Uncle Don

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home