Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hi from the Kingdom

Hi everybody

Thought it would be kind of cool to type an entry from Cambodia. Don't have much time, as we are leaving this afternoon and I need to buy some cheap souvenirs before heading to the airport.

We are in Siem Reap, where the highlight is the amazing Ankor Wat temples . We have spent most of the 2-3 days here touring these incredible places. The religious temples are around 900 years old. More details on those to come.

The food is amazing. I think it is the sauces. So light and flavorful. Maybe all those fresh herbs they use in everything. Initially I was to eat nothing raw, even the veggies in the spring rolls, but I have succumbed. Heck, we had our typhoid and hep A shots, I am going for it. And glad I did..... I am in heaven with the food. More details on that later too.

There is quite a bit of poverty here, and it is devastating to occasionally see these poor land mine victims. Went to a killing fields monument yesterday where there are displays of human skulls and bones from the tortured victims under POLPOT'S (sp) rule. That shut everybody up for awhile.

It's hot and muggy here, but at the tail end of rainy season, so the clouds save us a bit from the blazing sun. Thought there would be many more mosquitos---there are tons in Japan. We are all taking malaria pills anyway. Thankfully with the 'new' pills there are no side effects thatI have noticed.

People are very friendly and are crazy about the baby. The men love her! SO different from the Japanese men who don't give her a 2nd look.

Gotta run. Today we fly to Saigon for 1 night, then off to Hoi An, central Vietnam, to the beach.

Lots of photos to post soon.

Katrina

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

Great to see you back in the blog business, Katrina. Since Susanne gave me some of her pictures of the MacVie, I'll be updating my blog as well. The summer is drawing to a close for us and, as usual, starts to shut down very quickly, i.e. Ben and family leave for Lansing and we start closing up the Queen IV for another season. This will be the end of our 37th summer season, many trips across the lake.

Looking forward to seeing how you found Vietnam, a place we would like to visit someday---but probably won't. Keep it coming.

Your dad left a message on my cell phone so I am calling him tonight. I'll post a comment about that call if it means anything other than just saying "hello."

Sayonara, Uncle Don

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you getting any recipes????

7:10 AM  
Blogger Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

Did you cut the boy's hair?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Dan Kilpela said...

Finally stumbled across the blog... I have really been missing out but glad I finally read it. Really interesting. I think my favorite are the japanese signs in "engrish." What happened to the cheese?

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home