Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A feast


Ok people, this is what I am talking about.

Grilled fish in banana leaf. Snapper, with a chili, garlic, lemon grass sauce. I was so drugged up by this stuff that Ira went ahead and bargained with the waiter (who I was willing to run away with) and his boss and bought the plate that it was served on. What a guy.

Spring rolls... rice paper stuffed with fresh herbs of all kinds and crispy and fresh julienne veggies.

Ban Xeo, which unfortunately I have no photo of, is delicately seasoned pork and prawns wrapped in a rice flour pancake *stuffed* beyond belief with fresh herbs and served with a chili garlic lime dipping sauce.

I almost left my husband . Shame on me for even thinking about it . But the Hong Phuc restaurant, I could easily spend the rest of my days there. And yes, Ira bargained for the cheesy plate....they wanted $4 for it....he came back with "What? but it's plastic!"
"Yes, but "special-made" plastic!"

Well I think he got it down to $3, I don't remember much in my food induced stupor.

And you know, there is something about Vietnam, that even if a rat runs under your feet while eating at a restaurant (which happened) you kind of are startled for a second, but then ignore it and go back to feasting. It's just OK.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

Kat, I've been remiss about reading your very entertaining blogs. However, I intend to catch up on your adventures, and post my comments accordingly.
As a die hard foodie, "A Feast" certainly grabs my attention. I have seen Tony's show on Vietnam, and your pictures and account of the culinary delights of the country mimics his. You have to respect any society that has experienced the ravages of war, poverty, and hardship. Yet, still posses’ the ability to create fresh, beautifully presented, mouthwatering, gastronomic bliss.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home